Uvulo Palato Pharyngoplasty
- Why do I need this operation?
- To reduce snoring.
- Are there any alternatives to this operation?
- Before being considered for surgery, other measures such as treating any underlying nasal disease, weight reduction and smoking cessation will usually have been advised.
- What happens during the operation?
- This is carried out under a general anaesthetic. A rim of tissue including the uvula is removed from the edge of the soft palate with any excessive lining of the throat. The tonsils, if present, are often removed as well. There may be some further removal of tissue from the middle of the soft palate. This procedure can be carried out using a laser.
- How will feel after the operation?
- There will be some pain in the post operative period and you will be given painkillers of sufficient strength to control the discomfort. The pain may also be felt in the ears making swallowing difficult, which can persist for up to a week but generally improves day by day and completely settles in about one week.